Friday, March 20, 2009

Roast Goose

I served Roast Goose to two other couples, my husband and myself this past week. It was a huge success.

The other couples had never cooked or even eaten goose before. I made the food the focus of the evening. When they arrived, the roasted goose was already on a platter on the table, resting. My husband carved it while we discussed it. The first question was, How is goose different from chicken or turkey?

Goose is a waterfowl rather than a land bird. That’s why ducks and geese have more fat than land birds, it keeps them warm. The 9 ½ lb. bird I roasted on this occasion produced about three cups of clear, golden oil. Goose fat is a welcome side-product of roasting a goose. It makes excellent cooking fat. I understand it can also be used for baking, but I haven’t tried that yet.

I have, however, used it to fry and roast potatoes and other vegetables. It makes a good basting fat for chicken. It is the softest fat in its category, liquid at 44 C/ 111 F. Duck fat is liquid at 51 C/ 124 F.

Goose is difficult to carve gracefully. The carcass is bony and disjointing the wings and drumsticks requires a sharp knife and good technique. The breast meat slices off nicely. We fed six and had plenty of leftovers. The 9 ½ lb. bird could easily have fed eight. We are enjoying the leftovers. I made a Goose Tetrazzini from the meat. I used the giblets and carcass to make soup.

I roasted this goose without much fanfare. It defrosted overnight in the cool garage on top of the freezer. I prepared it for roasting by rinsing it in cool water and pricking the skin with a knife, to allow the fat to run off into the roasting pan. I removed it with a turkey baster during roasting.

I stuffed the goose with a bread stuffing, mixed with celery, onions, mushrooms and parsley, seasoned with salt, pepper and nutmeg, moistened with the goose broth made from the giblets.

Although the price seems high at $4.99 a lb., the amount of meat and fat a goose produces makes it a good choice for a family meal or small dinner party.

4 comments:

Aunt Krissy said...

Looks yummy. I have only had wild goose.
I found your blog as I am looking at chicken breeds. I'm getting chickens this year and want a duel type chicken. I'm finding your blog helpful. Thanks

Christine Heinrichs said...

Where do you live, Aunt Krissy? Most traditional breeds are dual purpose, both meat and eggs. Avoid Mediterranean breeds,a s they tend to be egg breeds. Where do you live? I can be more specific. I've got an article coming out in the April/May issue of Backyard Poultry on Five Traditional Dual Purpose Breeds.

trina said...

i stumbled across this article just by chance after putting my geese in the oven this last weekend. the most satisfying meal i have ever eaten! i will definitely be raising waterfowl again next year.
this year i had a pair of tufted buffs. they were very sweet and honestly, i'd rather have a meaner bird to feast on at the end of the season.
also very glad i found out about backyard poultry magazine, i am subscribing right now!

Christine Heinrichs said...

I'm glad this helped you! I'm definitely rosting another goose soon.