Friday, January 25, 2008

Sicilian Buttercups

Sicilian Buttercups get their name from the cup-shaped comb on both males and females. This breed is unusual for the different plumage on males and females, called sexual dimorphism.

Although they are named for the island of Sicily in the Mediterranean, the breed was actually developed in North Africa. It acquired the name from the English after birds were imported to England from Sicily.
This old breed was admitted to the APA Standard of Perfection in 1918, in the Mediterranean group. It seems to me that it is becoming more popular, as I have seen several very nice birds at shows recently.
These photos were sent to me two years ago and surfaced during our move. The person who took them sent a series of lovely pictures and the negatives, but the identification has been lost. If you own them, or see birds you recognize, please contact me. I want to thank you again.

No comments: